Table Cells getting data from another table in model space

I am trying to save time in data entry in a drawing template I use. I have a table that shows the Bill of Materials in one section of my model space. Lets call that BOM table. I update those numbers manually, and then I have to go to another table, which we will call CALC table, and enter the same information again because the CALC table is using a formula to calculate price, weight, etc based on the number placed in the cell. In this CALC table, I would like to have the value of the first cell in a column "look and copy" the data from a cell in the BOM table. Is this possible or can you suggest some other work around?

Re: Table Cells getting data from another table in model space

I have found a work around to this issue. I had to make my main "Bill of Materials" table manually, not using the table commands, but by manually drawing my own table lines. I then place my quantity in a box as Mtext. In the other "real" table that is doing some calculations, I select a cell that is going to receive the quantity to apply to a calculation. The cell is unlocked, and I click on the "insert field" box. I then select "entity", and the mouse cursor appears waiting for you to click on the entity you want to select. I select the Mtext in the fake cell of my BOM table, and then the field box appears. In this field box, you can select the property of the Mtext I just selected.. We have many choices of the property to choose from in the list, but you want to choose "CONTENTS". When you choose "contents", the preview should now show the "value" of the Mtext. If this Mtext was written as an integer, for example the number 3, then the value shown in the preview will be "3". Hit "OK".

From here forward, you can lock the contents of the "real" cell in the calculation table and it will always be looking at the Mtext location you have pointed to.

There is one remaining issue, but it isn't difficult. As I change the values of Mtext in my "BOM" table, the values of the "CALC" table will not refresh until I issue a REGEN command. This is pretty much expected. We wish it would always update, but this has been how autocad works for decades.