CMS locks up when trying to union more than 2 3D parts

If I try to union >2 3D shapes, {sometimes] CMT freezes. Sometimes it recovers in a few minutes, other times it takes over an hour.

More often that not, it never unfreezes (after 12 hours I give up), and I have to restart it, losing anything I was working on since the last save.

Very frustrating.

Some objects seem to union ok, others will never union. If I restart it and try again on the same objects, it freezes again, whereas other objects in the same session union ok.

It also at times refuses to 3D fillet even simple objects.

Even when it does fillet something, it rarely shows what it's about to fillet, or how much it's going to fillet until after it's done it. Or not done it.

And while I'm bitching about things, if I import a STEP file from say, McMaster Carr, it comes in with all sorts of strange lines sticking out of it, and can't be edited.

If I import the same file into AutoCAD, it comes in as a block, which can then be exploded and edited.

Ideas, anyone?

Re: CMS locks up when trying to union more than 2 3D parts

While I don't like the term budget software, there is some trade-off in terms of compatibility with autocad when dealing with higher class/ complex functions and models at the price point we are getting.

If you send a crash report when it does crash they will try to address the error in the next build. I realize that is hard to do when it just freezes and yes it happens to me too. If you can duplicate it, send them the model and the steps and they will try to debug it.

Lastly, there are temp files that are saved in the temporary directory usually: User\(your user name)\AppData\Local\Temp that have either a .bak or .SV$ extension. If you rename the file back to a .dwg it will usually open to the last few minutes of your work.

It can be a pain sometimes but I have not found a better software for my money and if you contribute to helping make it better we all win.

Good luck!

-Kam

Re: CMS locks up when trying to union more than 2 3D parts

xylan wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:11 pm
If I try to union >2 3D shapes, {sometimes] CMT freezes. Sometimes it recovers in a few minutes, other times it takes over an hour.

More often that not, it never unfreezes (after 12 hours I give up), and I have to restart it, losing anything I was working on since the last save.

Very frustrating.

Some objects seem to union ok, others will never union. If I restart it and try again on the same objects, it freezes again, whereas other objects in the same session union ok.

It also at times refuses to 3D fillet even simple objects.

Even when it does fillet something, it rarely shows what it's about to fillet, or how much it's going to fillet until after it's done it. Or not done it.

And while I'm bitching about things, if I import a STEP file from say, McMaster Carr, it comes in with all sorts of strange lines sticking out of it, and can't be edited.

If I import the same file into AutoCAD, it comes in as a block, which can then be exploded and edited.

Ideas, anyone?
Are such 3D shapes imported STEP shapes or are they 3D primitives created at CMS IntelliCAD? Can you send us a sample for testing?