Re: Version 110. stability?

sln8458 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:03 am
Anyone else having issues with version 11.0 stability when working on large (300Mb +) files.
I must have at least 4 freezes a day, needing to revert to task manager to kill the program.

Very frustrating and time consuming.

SteveN
I don't have anything near that large but I was working a fairly complex 3D model with lots of curves etc. and started having crashes and loooong computations and freezes. Could not get to the bottom of it. Ran audits etc. What finally fixed it was starting a blank new drawing, copying all of the elements from the problem drawing into the blank drawing and saving it. The new file was way smaller and ran fast and normal. Somehow there was a bunch of garbage in the file that was causing the problems. May not be what's happening but can't hurt to try.

-Kam

Cheers Kam,

Your descriptions fits my symptoms almost exactly.

I have 2 crashes/freezes since my first post just trying to open a model, just running antivirus for good measure.
If I manage to get the file open, I'll try your advice, nothing to lose :)

SteveN

I have managed to open one of the problem files in version 9.0!!

I have deleted the slice/section plane and purged the file, then audited. Saved.
Copied ALL remaining items in the file to a new file. The new file is twice the size of the original.
I can now open both the new file and the original in version 11.0!!

Could it be the slice/section plane function?

SteveN

Well, I've been working 4 hours so far today and now have my second freeze.

I have 2 files open, one is a 3D piping isometric model of a simple section of pipe, and the other is the piping GA model.
No section planes in ANY open files.

The iso is an Xref in the GA. I had just updated the iso and gone to the GA and updated the Xref, went to use '3Dorbit' and nothing....................frozen solid.
TASKMANAGER needed to close the program, and now to see what was not saved!!!

Ugh . . . not good. I was not using slice or plane sections so that is not common for me.

Are you using the Advanced graphics settings or intermediate? Have you tried changing these to see if it makes a difference? I was having all kinds of trouble with advanced settings in 10.1 that were fixed in 11.

The only other caution I can give is that when using AEC objects like walls and stairs, it adds a lot of layers to the drawing. DO NOT delete them, even if you think they are not being used. That mistake caused me hours of trouble . . . :oops:

Lastly, do send a crash report using the crash reporter. They have fixed things that I've found broken in the past.

Good luck!
-Kam

Hi Kam,

Thanks for the info, though I work on gas platforms so no AEC. Graphics is on Advanced
Crash reports :) I'm too busy for that atm just logging stuff here so I can refer to it in my report later.
Getting a little bit frustrated with that little box in the bottom right telling me the last session did not close properly!! (No S**t Sherlock :) )

3Dorbit seems a common theme, though not all the time.

SteveN

In several e-mails I've had with the developer he's mentioned that the Advanced graphics settings are a work in progress. I much prefer the advanced settings in my workflow but the results go up and down. One version works fine the next is a dumpster fire. 11.0 seems much better to me but I have not been drawing much these days as I've been working on a different project. If you're crunching through something on a deadline, it may be easier to switch to intermediate for the heavy lifting. Sometimes I switch back and forth through the day depending on what I am doing.

Not in any way ideal but sometimes you have to bite the bullet to get through it.

And when you get the chance, do a crash report and send it to them. They've always responded to mine and it will help improve future builds so you don't have to keep dealing with the same issues forever.

-Kam

Hi Kam,

Thanks for the suggestion re switching graphics, I 'll give that a go.

As for crash reporting, this IS something I always do, so much so that my emails are on first name terms :) I have even sent videos demonstrating problems that are too difficult to put into words.

SteveN

sln8458 wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:09 am
Hi Kam,

Thanks for the suggestion re switching graphics, I 'll give that a go.

As for crash reporting, this IS something I always do, so much so that my emails are on first name terms :) I have even sent videos demonstrating problems that are too difficult to put into words.

SteveN
Excellent. Well here's hoping that they can get it fixed!

-Kam

Just adding an update:

I noticed today when working that on one occasion when I selected 3dOrbit that the cursor had 'snapped' to either an endpoint/mid point/center as these are my normal running snaps. This caused the system to freeze. I left the system running for 10+ mins to see if it recovered, but no, needed task manager to close down Icad.

This got me thinking, and I have now added, to the toolbar buttons for 3Dorbit, the snap toggle command at the beginning of the command. This is to suspend ALL running snaps to prevent the conditions that caused the first freeze. I have also added a new button to the entity snaps toolbar to reset to my normal running snaps ('_osmode 7)

Will see if this reduces my freeze problems.

SteveN.

Here is an extract from an email I received earlier from ITC.org

"This is a known issue. Our developers working on ES and expecting more stability on 11.1.
For now I can suggest you to use the OpenGL graphics device for your main purposes and switch to the OpenGL ES for specific tasks
"

SteveN.