Blocks defined using XREF to a dwg do not render properly in Artisan

Hi All,

I have been building a master drawing composed of several source drawings. I add the source drawings by one of two methods,

Method 1: Insert the drawing as a block "Insert block" by browsing to the source file

Method 2: Insert the drawing as a block using the "Insert XREF" manager where you "attach" the source drawing to the master drawing.

When I use method 1, all objects from the source drawings render correctly within IC and Artisan. It all looks as expected.

Here is the problem. When I use method 2 (XREFS), only the IC rendering looks correct. The Artisan rendering does not have the correct color mapping from the XREFS. The rendering has a single color, the color if the layer the XREF was inserted on.

My conclusion is that if I wish to use the Artisan software then I should not use XREFs.

Or perhaps I dont know what I'm doing! Ill post an image if I can figure out how to do so.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Re: Blocks defined using XREF to a dwg do not render properly in Artisan

I seem to be moving along with the Artisan rendering so long as I dont include XREF defined blocks.

I too am running version 11 of CMS_Intellicad but didnt reinstall the Artisan software from version 10 as I noticed the Artisan installer on the download page is dated 2016.

The artisan package has some capabilities, inserting backgrounds, that the IC rendering does not have. It also has ability to change the perspective from wide angle to narrow angle, much like a camera lens, that I quite like.

Can anyone tell me how I can include a jpg image in my posting?

Selecting the image icon just gives me this,
"
"

Ill post some rendering examples if image postings are possible.

Thanks! Kevin

Sorry for the small image. This is the result of some experiments I tried to figure out why colors were not mapping correctly in atisan renderings.

The 2nd line of blocks show the issue. The drw in the lower right was imported as an XREF. The rendering is monocrhrome, the blocks in blue did not render in blue.

Again, this is Artisan only. The XREF did render correctly using IC render.

Thanks...Kevin

Kevin,

Artisan applies the textures/color/material based on the layer of the object. Typically if you drag a material onto one part, it applies it to everything that has a matching layer.

It could be that the layer the XREF is placed on is overriding the layers of the actual part. I would have to play with it to be sure. Artisan is a handy program but frustratingly rigid and sometimes limited in what it can do.

kgfaison wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:17 pm
My conclusion is that if I wish to use the Artisan software then I should not use XREFs.
Or perhaps I dont know what I'm doing! Ill post an image if I can figure out how to do so.
Hi Kevin,
I don't use XREFs but I can understand something here: When you use Artisan with XREFs, you must may be setup your first file from where come your XREFs.
Open it and setup your objets with Artisan +save and then open you master file with your XREFs and septup the others objects and make your render.

XREFs is simply an link with the object's references. You must certainly make the Artisans setups into their files.
If I can help you with that?
Pat
Patrick Depoix
Architecte D.P.L.G. & Historien-chercheur en histoire de l'Architecture