Splines, I MUST be missing something on fit/control points. HELP!

Thanks in advance, but, this is driving me crazy...

I created a shape set using arcs, splines, and for the life of me I cannot figure out WHY some of the splines are showing the control points on initial spline selection, and others are showing fit points on initial selection. I edit spline and cannot switch between the two. Other CAD programs I have used have a toggle, IS there a toggle I am missing? Is there a command that changes this attribute of control? Editing and selecting 'fit data' does nothing. Selecting a spline either shows a spline with fit points, while other splines show them as control points. I didn't create them any differently. I am confused as to WHY they are different, and HOW to switch control of the splines from fit point to control point...

What am I doing wrong? What am I missing?

Thank you.... VERY confused,
Ed

Re: Splines, I MUST be missing something on fit/control points. HELP!

EdGeneer wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:12 pm
I created a shape set using arcs, splines.
WHY some of the splines are showing the control points on initial spline selection, and others are showing fit points on initial selection?
Because they are different: one is splines and others are only polygones!
SPLINE and POLY are mathematical functions BUT not the same kind of functions so options are not the same!.
I edit spline and cannot switch between the two. Other CAD programs I have used have a toggle, IS there a toggle I am missing? Is there a command that changes this attribute of control? Editing and selecting 'fit data' does nothing. Selecting a spline either shows a spline with fit points, while other splines show them as control points. I didn't create them any differently. I am confused as to WHY they are different, and HOW to switch control of the splines from fit point to control point...
If you click only one time on a spline: you can change the spline with the right click (dynamic menu) BUT if you click two time, you change all points and/or vectors. YOU must follow the question in commands bar. There are a lot of commands for that! It's easy.
Patrick Depoix
Architecte D.P.L.G. & Historien-chercheur en histoire de l'Architecture

Hello, TY for your reply. I might not be explaining this correctly, I am ONLY speaking of the splines... NOT the arcs or other items...

I have 2 splines, both were created the same way... no matter HOW I edit them, they act this way... this includes how I click the spline.. I click once, it selects, i can right click and get menu.... If i click twice, it selects and brings up the SAME menu, just like you say. NOW... the problem is this... one spline when clicked ONCE, shows the fit points... the other spline, when clicked once, shows the control points... now here is what happens...

first spline,
click once, shows fit points, can edit fit points fine. If I click twice, OR click once, then right click, I get the SAME menu, it changes display to showing fit points, but I cannot edit the points unless I use the menu to tediously move between points, etc etc, VERY tedious...

second spline,
click once, shows control points, NOT fit points... if I right click it now, once selected, I get a slightly different menu, one that is similar to the first spline, AFTER I select 'fit data' in first spline menu...

Now, what I HAVE noticed is this... the splines turn into the second spline behavior AFTER I trim it. It seems to no longer display fit points on initial single click after it has been trimmed, or menu selected 'purge'.

My question has always been, IS there a way to switch a spline display between fit points and control points, like in other cad programs? It seems that splines in IntelliCAD display differently, and to get back and forth is VERY tedious and confusing (and almost impossible, actually, without the switch). The spline edit menu is different in both versions of the spline, once it has been modified with trim, etc, and doesn't seem to make sense... Once the display is fit points (usually directly after its created), it edits easily moving fit points without using the menu. IF its been trimmed or 'purged' (I dont know what purge does, cant find it in help, but it seems to change a spline to control point like trim does, i noticed it seems to be the only thing in the menu that does change the spline), it THEN is showing control points, when first clicked ONCE, and the control points edit the spline before you enable the menu.

Other CAD programs have a display version switch. I cannot get the edit spline menu to do ANYTHING for me, not to mention change the display. It lets me edit the other way, but its VERY laborious once using the menu to move points. In summary, ONCE a spline changes its display, it seems it is STUCK there, and no way to switch back.

I know this is wordy, but outside of a switch, like AutoCAD or NovaCad have for splines, there seems to be no way to do this in IntelliCAD... I have tried every permutation of the menu I can think of, and NO feature seems to switch it, or make it work any other way, outside for the initial way the spline edits when you click it ONCE. (But it still displays the way it wants, NO way to change that it seems)

Ed

OK, so I HAVE noticed something...

I figured out what purge does, it purges the fit point data, as it shows within the fit data selection in the menu.... (and now shows 0 fitpoints in the properties bar now) HOWEVER... when a spline is trimmed, it ALSO seems to purge the fit-point data. The properties bar shows that there is NO fit points in the list, is this correct? Is this supposed to happen in Intellicad? ANY mod to a spline always purges fitpoint data? There is no retention of fitpoint AND control point data in a spline, regardless of mod or trim functions?

I seem to notice the splines change when a mod such as trim is used, OR the fit point data is purged in the menu...

Is there no way to switch click and drag fit point OR control point data, retained within a spline, it is fit-point editing until the spline is modded, thus fit-points are automatically purged, then it is ONLY control point editing from here on out....

yes? no? Am I nuts??? hehehe

ED