Changing Default Settings

Folks:

I am a fairly infrequent CAD user, and am learning as I go. I have done a search here to see if this topic has been covered previously, (which I am sure it has), but I can not find it.
My program is set so that when I put in measurements, it shows up as "Decimal". I have gone into "Tools", "Drawing Settings", "Drawing Units", and changed "Linear" to "Architectural", but nothing happens on my drawing. (My measurements are still in "Decimal".)

I have changed something in the past, and managed to get it to show "Architectural", but for some reason I can't seem to get it to work now.
Can I change it in the default settings? How would I do that?

Thanks for your help.
Randy

Re: Changing Default Settings

Hi Randy,

Lets try and help.

To set the individual drawing units try this:
From the Tools drop down select 'Drawing Settings'

That takes you to here:

In the top row of tabs select 'Drawing Units'
You should then see the second row of tabs, here select 'Linear'
Set the Unit Types to 'Architectural' & the Insertion Scale to 'Inches'

Now when you draw a line and measure it's length (in the image below I used the 'list' command) you should get the units you wanted, I hope :)

Is that what you needed?
OR
Are you asking about Dimensioning ??

SteveN

Steve:
Thanks so much for the info. I am now half way to where I want to be.
I see in the bottom of the page, it shows my cursor in feet and inches (architectural), but my dimensions are still in decimals.

Is there a way to make them show in architectural as well?

Also, is there a way to make it so that when I open a new document, it will automatically show in architectural or do I have to change the settings each time?

Thanks again for your help.
Randy

I have all my templates in a folder with all of my data, easier to get to and manage.

To use a template file on a new drawing, when you have not setup your templates:

Select File at the top of the screen, then NEW:

Then select the file type (dwg):

Here you can select Architectural:

Job done.

If you only intend to use Architectural for 90+% of your drawing then save the you want to the default Icad.dwt. This will ensure that all new drawing will use this template going forward.
It is worth noting that it is within these template files where you can setup your default text styles, drawing layers, colours.........

Oh, and though it may be old fashioned I use dimensions for dimensioning. Again this can be setup in the template files.

SteveN

SteveN:

Thanks so much for getting back to me.

My program seems to open a little different than yours. When I click "New", it automatically comes up with a fresh page. No options on what I want it set at.

I did a work around though by doing as you suggested. I opened up a new document, changed the settings, and then saved it as "Template". Now, whenever I start a new project, I will go to "Template", save it right a way with my project name, and use the new project name for that project.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Randy