Images inside blocks are not supported is this true

I was just about to purchase a copy of IntelliCAD 2001 Pro when I read in a user manual that images (jpeg etc.) within blocks are NOT supported.
Is this true?
I have been evaluating the STD edition, and I think its a great app and I knew about raster image support in Pro version , assumed full support, but unless you can include images inside a block its not much use to me.
Can anybody confirm please
Thanks
CADMAN

You are right, it does not seem to work. Images are reference files (linked files). In a way, they are already blocks. Why do you need to have them inside blocks?

Many reasons:

1. Dwg compatibility ,Because you can in VDraft, AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT
Although VDRAFT dosen't suport transparent backgrounds on images. Does Intellicad, can you insert a PNG file in Intellicad?

2. We produce traffic signs with variable text as attributes. The backgrounds can be quite complex , full colour, arrows, roads etc. Having the text on top of a transparent image as attributes is the best way of ensuring the text stays on top (no display order problems) User can easily modify the text. Also the sign can be placed on top of another image such as a map without display or printing problems.
If you try to re-create a sign using solid fill hatching you get into all sorts of display problems, AutoCAD as well.

Its a real pity Intellicad hasn't got better dwg compatibility because its a great app otherwise. It dosen't seem to have too much missing but this facility is crucial to me.

Thanks for responding, looks like its back to the expensive AutoCAD

CADMAN

PNG is ok in Intellicad.

There is a way to acheive something similar to what you want:

Create a template drawing for all your signs. Insert all the sign images, scale and arrange them grid-style. For each sign, add a block in the position you want, containing the text attributes.

To insert one of these image/block groups in a different drawing, open both drawings. Use the regular copy command to copy the selection from the template to the new drawing (works like inside a drawing) and voilá.

This should be as easy to do as the block method, and it would be compatible with Acad. But, of course, you will have two separate entities.

Just a suggestion..

Hi
Thanks for suggestion but I want to control placement via a dialog, so each block must be an external file.

Another point. I went back to method one using hatch patterns (solid fill)
Create a sign with solid filled hatch patterns coloured yellow (in r14) with attributes on top (black)then wblock out

Once again fine in Autocad, LT and vdraft
But Intellicad dosent seem to support solid hatch patterns

Is this supported in the Pro version
If so how do I get a copy to evalute it
Cheers
CADMAN

If solid hatches do not display, I would guess
a) variable FILLMODE has been switched off
or
b) your Intellicad Std version does not have this implemented yet, because it is too old (True solid hatching has only been in Intellicad for about a year, I think). You can check the date of your Icad.exe file.

For your information, a new PE and LT version is just around the corner. Don't know about the free downloadable. Bricsnet Intellicad is a 30-day trial, not sure if CMS has one. It is the same software, more or less.

Its Intellicad 2001 dated 11th of June 2001
Free evaluation download from CADopia

And I have fill ON

You can create solid fill hatches, if you set path to acad support, but if you then create a block of them and re-insert they lose their colour, (all turn black)

If you explode them they return to origial state and colour, guess its a bug