Draw walls using relative coordinates

Typically when using relative coordinates to draw lines / walls / shapes etc., the system will use the last indicated point where something was drawn as the reference point to begin the next entry. I have a hand made drawing of a floor plan for our house that I would like to have drawn in CAD using the program's wall tool. The drawing has the dimensions of all the interior walls written into it. What I would like to do once the exterior walls have been drawn is reference a specific corner of a exterior or interior wall and use this as the starting point to measure from to begin another wall. i.e., the first wall is 10ft from one interior corner, snap to this point to have the reference reset to 0,0 and then enter the dimensions 10,0 to begin the next wall and then enter the dimensions of how long the wall will be. Is this possible?

Re: Draw walls using relative coordinates

Jon_AK wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:30 am
Typically when using relative coordinates to draw lines / walls / shapes etc., the system will use the last indicated point where something was drawn as the reference point to begin the next entry. I have a hand made drawing of a floor plan for our house that I would like to have drawn in CAD using the program's wall tool. The drawing has the dimensions of all the interior walls written into it. What I would like to do once the exterior walls have been drawn is reference a specific corner of a exterior or interior wall and use this as the starting point to measure from to begin another wall. i.e., the first wall is 10ft from one interior corner, snap to this point to have the reference reset to 0,0 and then enter the dimensions 10,0 to begin the next wall and then enter the dimensions of how long the wall will be. Is this possible?
Does changing the BASE to the corner you want work? Or move that corner point to 0,0,0?
-=(RH)=-
33+ years using Autocad, wanting to fully learn iCad and share my knowledge of applicable crossover info from Acad.
-=(RLH)=-

Does changing the BASE to the corner you want work? Or move that corner point to 0,0,0?
-=(RH)=-
Not familiar with how to perform what you are referring to.... Still new to all of this. One program I tried however, which does not have any modeling ability lets you move the cursor to any corner to begin from, and when the snap point appears, press the 'R' key which displays the relative input box, from the measurements you input it will begin a new wall at those coordinates. Since CMS does not accept the 'R' key as input, by pressing the '@' key for relative inputs measurements, I thought that would be the same thing but alas, it begins at either the UCS 0,0 point or at the last coordinate values from a prrevious object. I'm not versed with any cad or modeling programs yet but is hope to change that with practice.

The latest version of Icad (11.1) has a NEW snap setting 'FROM POINT'

From the Help File:
Use the From Point tool to set a temporary base point from which to offset point selection. The From Point tool can be used only while another active command is requesting a point.
To set a temporary offset point
1 Choose a command, for example, type line or move.
2 Do one of the following to choose From Point ():
• On the ribbon, choose Draw > From Point (in Entity Snaps).
• On the menu, choose Tools > Entity Snap > From Point.
• On the Entity Snaps toolbar, click the From Point tool.
• Type from and then press Enter.
3 Select where to place the temporary base point.
4 Enter the offset distance from the base point, for example, (@8.5,0), where you want to locate the next point. Note that entering (8.5,0) places an absolute point from the UCS origin, not a relative point from the base point.
5 Continue with the original command.

This could be what you are searching for!!?

SteveN