math coprocessors, accuracy and ICAD 2001

Hello CAD experts,

I need some advice please. A few years ago I remember a big deal over errors in some Intel chips. Is it correct to say that any Celeron processor is inadequate for ICAD or any CAD program ? What about AMD chips ? Are only Intel pentium chips good enough for ICAD 2001 ? I am about to buy a laptop for as built drawing work and also outside map making in the wilderness. Any suggestions on what to buy or not buy ?

Thanks,

------------------
drawit

I have tried Intellicad with various AMD processors, and I have never had problems that could be traced to the processor itself.
The fact that a 1.4Ghz AMD processor performs higher than a 1.4Ghz Pentium tells me it is better designed and of better quality than the Pentium.

I agree. Unlike Intel, AMD will not ship a buggy chip. My computer runs an AMD and it operates flawlessly with the 20 different CAD programs I use for testing.

Reports are the Celeron is not optimized for CAD work. It seems more at home with raster graphics and text handling applications, etc.

Hi,
Those errors you are talking about occured in first generation Pentium chips. Thats a long time ago by technology standards.

From reports I have read, Celeron processors are fine for using with CAD programs. Infatc, I have heard of Autocad users claimimg par on the full pentium chips when using celeron. this does of course depend on what type of work you are doing.

Rgardless of which make or model of processor you buy, as long as it is reasonably up to date, you should have no problems running Intellicad (up till recently, I ran Intellicad on a Pentium 200 with 72mb of ram with out any problems).

I hope this puts your mind at ease.
Regards,

------------------
Michael John Smyth
Irish / UK Representative
Efnet Autodesk Users Group
www.eaug.org

In regards to a laptop, I believe that the IBM Thinkpad is the most popular laptop with DELL comming in second. I have had a good experience with both. I personally prefer the IBM Thinkpad.

Thanks CAD experts and friends,

I appreciate the help and experience. Someone told me that a Panasonic toughbook was nice for them. Any experiences with those ?

------------------
drawit