Programing

I would like to create a system in which all the elements in a drawing are blocks. I would then like to create a report from the informaion contained in the blocks. I would further like to determine if any of the blocks were altered in size. Can this be accomplished by way of programing? If so which of the languages available, VBA, C++ or lisp would be the best to use?

Philip,

You can use all of the listed languages to program ICAD.

Lisp is a good starting language because it can be tested at the command line and is easy to learn. A drawback is speed because it is not compiled. Lisp is very well supported and do***ented in all CAD circles and there are plenty of books and sample code to look at.

'C' on the other hand is harder to learn and requires a seperate compiler. The benefit is speed because ICAD is a 'C++' program. Another advantage of learning 'C' is one day you may be able to help with ICAD's development at the source level.

VBA requires the professional version and is a midrange language to learn also nearly as fast as 'C' in execution. The programer's interface (IDE) comes with VBA and has graphical forms for rapid development. A major advantage of learning VBA is that it is supported in all MS Office products and you can use it to communicate with a spreadsheet, database or word processor.

Choose your weapon and have a go!

Regards
John Finlay

I agree with John. An advantage of lisp is that you will get better peer level support on forums such as this, since there are more lisp programmers. I also predict that we will see a lisp compiler for Intellicad in not too long, as this is now implemented in Autocad.