Paper Space Snaps

I am totally new to IC after switching from Turbocad. The only problem I have come across at the moment is related to paper space snaps.

I like to annotate my drawinmgs in paper space with associated dimensions. However, I cannot get IC to snap to any objects shown in a viewport whilst in paper space. Does anyone have any ideas?

That is disappointing, I hate having to set up lots of dim styles. perhaps this will change in future releases?

Yep, v12 of TC was appalling and unless IMSI pulls something great out of the hat, I won't be using it again.

Thanks for the help.

It's very likely that, in future versions, you will be able to dimension in paper space. Icad fallows the feature of Acad closely and, in Acad, you can do this. Most of my designs start out as 3D, that's the reason I use Turbocad but for exclusivly 2D work, my choice is Icad. The way I handle dimension scales is to set up, in my standard template, the dimension styles I need, all at a scale of one. Then I change the comprehensive scale factor in that dimension style to match the scale of the drawing I'm working on at the time. The setting will stick so when you open that drawing again, it will already be set. Any new drawing is originated from the master template so, again, the dimscale is at one to be set for that drawing. I rarely use paper space (in Icad) prefering to scale up my titleblock, dim scale and text to take into account the print scale. Yes, TC 12 is prety bad. I went back to 11 after finding a few insurmountable bugs. I got an email from Maritz Botha (IMSI CTO) yesterday asking about the problems with 12. TC has been bought just recently and the new owners are looking to make a living on Turbocad rather than a whole range of products as the previouse owners did. Things may be looking up for TC. If my need were for 2D drafting though, I would stick with Intellicad. It is a solid program with a more secure future.

I use cad for structural engineering and rarely use 3d but I can have details ata several scales on one drawing, for instance, a general arrangement plan at 1:50, section at 1:25 and details at 1:10. Instead of drawing each of them out seperatley, I draw a set of building models and use viewports to highlight details etc.. Using this method paper space dimensions are logical and allow for dims to reflect any model changes.

I will look forward to see how IC develops, I suppose I can change my habits for the time being in pursuit of stability and productivity from my CAD software.