How about Linux?

I am downloading a demo of IC right now, and I am going to try to install it with wine (windows emulator) on Debian GNU/Linux. If it works, I will probably purchase an IC soon. Does anyone have some experience with installing IC on a Linux box? And, dare to ask, is there any Linux version of IC expected?

I have converted most of my business to run on Debian Gnu/Linux. The one real problem I had was how to do CAD work on Gnu/Linux machines. I tried several things and the best solution I found was to use VMware to install Windows XP to run Icad in a virtual machine running on top of Debian Gnu/Linux. This configuration works well to run Icad in a production environment.

If you are interested in CAD on Linux you should join the CAD-Linux email list at: http://www.freelists.org/list/cad-linux

Mars

I just installed the current beta (v5.1.0012) on Mepis Debian with WINE on the KDE desktop and it works WAY faster than all previous versions I've tried. Brics said they optimized some code to speed-up redraw and graphics, it looks to me like it worked.

In Debian, the .rpm didn't work correctly for me, so on the download page just replace the .rpm with .tgz (bricscad-5.1.0012-1.i386.tgz). After download just install manually and it should work fine.

It's getting better each release and gives me optimism for IntelliCAD on the Linux platform.

Rob

[This message has been edited by InsideOut (edited 01-28-2005).]