Selling LISP routines

I've developed a LISP/DCL application on IntelliCAD that took quite a bit of time. So naturally, now that its working quite well, I'd like to recoup some of the time (many a late evening after work) and money (CAD programs, text editors, protection/installation software).

The program automates the drafting of the plan and cross-sections view of a subsurface wastewater disposal field (infiltration bed). Presently it is being used "in house" by me and a couple other septic system designers employed at my company.

Can I just start selling this product, or are there legal issue I must address first? My first inclination is NO, because people sell all sorts of block libraries and LISP files online.

The program consists of a LSP file, multiple DCL files and a DWG template file.

I'd like to be sure before I start selling it and spending some money on a website/advertising.

Thanks in advance,

Steve Marcotte
septiCAD@gmail.com

If you own the code you can sell your program. For me I took the time to formally copyright my code. You should consider talking to legal expert to examine who actually owns the code. You mentioned people at your work use your program. Did you sell the company your program? Did you do any coding on company time? These are questions you need to consider.

By the way my name is Daniel Marcotte