ACAD 2 ICAD Lisp Question

I am evaluating iCAD from after 20 years of ought-to-CAD. I have a few questions like;

1. What folder should I put my Lisp files in. I have them in the support folder right now but iCAD doesn't seem to find them. iCAD has found my menus, and templates.

2. Does iCAD have the equvilant of an ACAD.PGP file? Where is it and can I edit it like an ACAD.PGP file? I have a few days left of my evaluation copy of the program and I want to make sure this will work before I commit.

I'm sure I'll have a few more questions later.

Jerry K.

jmkarlo,

To answer your questions:

1. You can put your LISP files anywhere. However, I suggest you to put them outside the program's installation folder. To load lsp files in IntelliCAD, use the command APPLOAD. This command lets you select the files with a file browser. To automatically load your LISP files use the icad.lsp: Open notepad, type the following:
(load "[MyLispFileWithCompletePath].lsp"), for example:

Code: Select all

(load "C:\\MyRoutines\\Geometry\\Rectangle.lsp")
Then, save the file and put it inside the program's installation folder, the same where icad.exe is. Then, the next time you open IntelliCAD, your LISP files will be automatically loaded.

2. Yes, IntelliCAD works also with PGP files, however there should be no need to edit them in the PGP files as IntelliCAD has an editor to do it. In the "Customize" dialog box (Tools->Customize...), there is a tab named "Aliases". Go to this tab to edit your command aliases. If you need, you will be able also to export/import the aliases to/from PGP/ICA files.

Thanks,
JCAMPOS

I agree with JCAMPOS on putting them in an alternate directory (folder, sorry old habits die hard).

Given the lack of a "support" path a la autocad, I choose to modify my windows path since CAD is a primary function of this computer.

start>control panel>system (system>advanced system settings in vista/win7)>environment variables>path.

Worked like a charm.

jamesclane,

To force CMS IntelliCAD to "see" and load an icad.lsp that resides on a different directory than the program's installation folder, you have a more direct and cleaner solution. Try the following:

1. Right-click on IntelliCAD's desktop shortcut and select "Properties" in the context menu;
2. Enter your alternate directory in the "Start in:" textbox.
3. Click the "Apply" button and there you go! After this, everytime you run IntelliCAD it will start on that directory loading the icad.lsp (if saved on that directory).

Hope it helps!

Regards,
JCAMPOS

JCAMPOS

Thanks for your input. I may have misunderstood the original thread questions.

As I have been migrating our company from Autocad to Intellicad I have been tweaking a number of lisp routines that are the core or our design function. Historically, I have always kept the lisp files in a separate directory from the main program install directory to make updating other users easier and less hazardous. Autocad has powerful "support file" path support. Intellicad's internal path support is a little less granular. So I have been trying out alternative approaches.

Presently, I do keep the modified icad.lsp file in the program install directory but was trying to keep the "working" lisp files grouped in separate directory.

That being said, I put the icad.lsp file in the same directory as the "working" lisp files and tried the method you suggested. Worked like a charm and I like that the "path" is program specific.

Great tip, thanks.

UPDATE:
Ran into one minor snag. When I double click on a "dwg" file to open it, or open it with the context menu, intellicad uses the programs default paths.

Discovered this today working with some lisp routines for iCAD.

The icad.lsp file is loaded every time IntelliCAD is launched. This works dandy but if you open a new or existing drawing after IntelliCAD has launched, then your lisp routines will not be loaded.

icaddoc.lsp is another LISP file that IntelliCAD automatically loads into each drawing environment. This file does not exist by default, but I created it and tested this functionality. You do not need to set your files in APPLOAD if you use this lsp file.

support paths

Frankly this was one of the first "what do I do now" issues I had in migrating to ICAD after many, many years of ACAD use.

If you ever had the experience of configuring ACAD support paths, you'll find the concepts and "gotchas" to be about the same.

Keep your LISP programs in their own folder, same for blocks .dwg files, bitmap .BMP files for menu toolbar support.

For simplicity, add calls to your supporting folders to the "Support Paths - Help" tree of your Paths/Files tab in ICAD CONFIG, if you don't see a more appropriate location. Using different branches of the paths config tree may change the order in which support files are loaded, but in the end your files should work as long as they are referenced here somewhere.

Use ICAD.LSP for initializing the program.
Create/Use ICADDOC.LSP for initializing LISP routines.

Keep backups of your support files.