Improvements/fixes from 6.1PE+ to 6.2PE+ ?

I'm interested in extracting 2D entities, 3D surfaces, and solids from DWG files and saving them to another DWG (in a different version) or an ACIS (SAT) file.

The information on the main site does not mention specific improvements from 6.1PE+ to 6.2PE+ in the file handling and ACIS functions, so I thought I would try here. (Using the demo won't help me because it does not handle solids/ACIS.)

I did send sales a request for this info about 2 weeks ago, but I am still waiting.

Thanks

Your question didn't go into enough detail as to what you are trying to do and what problems you are having doing it. That's probably why you haven't gotten an answer. I'm quite good at a number of things. Mind reading not being one of them.

"Your question didn't go into enough detail as to what you are trying to do and what problems you are having doing it. That's probably why you haven't gotten an answer. I'm quite good at a number of things. Mind reading not being one of them."

That's exactly why there should be a trial version of PE+. If I don't think of all the right questions to ask, I might be misinformed

Has the ACIS version changed from v6.1 to 6.2?

Does the recover/audit function work better with ACIS entities in v6.2?

Is the reading of dwg files any more reliable in v6.2 than v6.1.? Occasionally I can't open a dwg file that opens fine in v4.x or v5.x.

I don't know what acis version they were using before but version 6.2 will open acis version 14 files. Can't say how well it handles them (worked fine in the test files made with Turbocad) as I don't use Icad for anything but 2D drawing. Never had a problem opening DWG files though I don't open a lot of files from other people. So far, I haven't been much help. I do agree though that PE+ should be the trial version. Why would you use a lesser version as a demo when you are trying to sell someone on it?

[This message has been edited by CW (edited 11-12-2006).]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CW:
<B>So far, I haven't been much help.
</B>[/QUOTE

Not true, you responded to my question and asked me for more information. At the very least I'd say that's consideration.

chrisd,

What's New in 6.2PE+

Assign true colors and color book colors
You’ve always been able to add color to your drawings using index colors, but now you use two new color features:

True colors Defined using 24-bit color, there are more than 16 million true colors from which you can choose.
Color books Defined with a list of colors, color books help you organize collections of colors. For example, you can store a unique color scheme in a color book for a client and then use colors only from that color book for the client’s drawings.

Work with raster images using ADeko Raster
IntelliCAD Professional version includes new raster imaging software to help you work with images in your drawings. Working with raster images is similar to previous IntelliCAD versions, with easy-to-use features located on the Image menu in IntelliCAD.

Export to PDF and 3D DWF format
You can export drawings to two new formats:

PDF Portable Document Format files allow you to distribute your drawing to others for viewing with Adobe® Acrobat® Reader®, which is free software that users can download, and for viewing, reviewing, and editing with Adobe® Acrobat. Click for more details.
3D DWF 3D Design Web Format files can be viewed in a Web browser if Autodesk® DWF Viewer is also installed on the computer. DWF Viewer is a free tool from Autodesk® that always supported viewing 2D DWF files, but now supports viewing DWF files in three dimensions.
Use entity snaps
When using the extension option with Intersection Snap and Apparent Intersection Snap, IntelliCAD draws dashed extension lines to help guide you as you use the extension snap option.

If you are working in the command bar, you can modify the active command by typing m2p or mtp to enable a one-time snap to the midpoint of two points that you specify.

Edit text in the command line
The command bar and Prompt History window include enhanced text editing, including cutting, copying, and pasting text; copying the last command line or the entire command history; and repeating a previously executed command.

Create wipeout entities
Wipeouts are unique entities that can help you hide areas of your drawing. They display with the current background color, so the details behind the wipeout do not display or print. However, if your version of IntelliCAD does not include raster image capability (that is, does not include an Image menu), wipeout entities display, but the details behind the wipeouts also display.

Create audio notes from existing *.wav files
In addition to recording audio notes in IntelliCAD and attaching them to entities, you can now create audio notes from existing *.wav files. Audio notes created from an existing *.wav file are saved in the drawing file and the separate *.wav file remains unchanged.

View thumbnails of drawings
When you open or save a drawing, drawing files can be displayed in a number of ways, including by filename with or without the additional details. Now you can also view thumbnail images of drawing files.

You can also view thumbnail images when you browse drawing files on your computer using programs that came with your operating system, such as Windows® File Explorer or My Computer.

Use new and enhanced system variables
New system variables include: AUDIOICONCOLOR, NOMUTT, OSNAPCOORD, OSNAPHATCH, OSNAPZ, and RTSKIPCOUNT.

Enhanced system variables include: CECOLOR and SNAPCOLOR.

End of What's New in 6.2

There appears to be no improvements to ACIS functions.

As far as file handling goes: Are you extracting using a program?

------------------
Regards
John Finlay

[This message has been edited by John Finlay (edited 11-15-2006).]

JHudson,
Sorry my post wasn't clear. I did find CW's info helpful.

John,
I have recently spoken with Melodie in tech support and I did qualify for a free upgrade from v6.1 to v6.2

I read the list of features before I asked any questions. There are a few areas in the list that relate to my questions, but are not what I would call definitive answers.

Having a trial of PE+ would resolve some of these grey areas and allow users to make an informed decision.

John,

My choice of the word "extracting" was not good. I mean that I throw lots of things out of files, or delete layers, etc. to get them into other applications that don't deal
with ACAD files well.