Layout tab

I am new to IntelliCAD, trying the demo because I can't justify the cost of AutoCAD for my small engineering consultancy business. First impressions very favourable, many of the basic commands are more user friendly than AutoCAD.
I can't see a way of locking viewports, when I switch from paper to model space in Layout View I keep inadvertently zooming and panning. Is there a way of locking vp's? Also truetype font such as arial seems to be bold only, looks and prints terrible!

There is no way to lock viewports in IntelliCAD as you can in AutoCAD. It seems that the best practice is to always close the drawing without a viewport active.

As davep said, there is no way to lock them but I honestly can't see the need. Once they are set, change back to paperspace and you can't change them. What would be the point of changing to floating model space if you didn't want to change the view?

Bricscad has a check box in their Entity Properties pop-up when you activate and right click a vport boundary in paperspace.

I understand what dcf is alluding to. There are occasions when one accidentally activates the viewport while in paperspace.

I was put off Bricscad because of the cost, I have been evaluating CMS intellicad and am about to buy - at $52 it is a lot cheaper than Bricscad at $225. However I'll have a look at Bricscad first - it costs nothing to evaluate for a month and if its significantly better than CMS then I'll go for it.
David

While you wouldn't want to pay more than necessary, the cost of either is unbelievably reasonable compared with practically any other piece of software, hardware, or drafting consumable and its value as a work tool.
Without comment on relative merits of brands, I have wasted more in time than money on the occasional "bad" iteration of Icad from various suppliers. My money is tight too, but for business it's false economy to put price over even marginal performance differences of brands of Icad... if there are any.