Version Releases

I am a new user having downloaded the current 4PE+. I briefly looked at Demo versions from BricsCAD(BC), CADopia(CO) and CMS. The choice of CMS was price.

However, I now notice that the ICAD.exe file varies 14th Oct 2003(BC), 28th Sep 2003(CO) but 2nd Apr 2003 with CMS.

Given a posting regarding currency of software and fixes/updates have I bought into a company that is not at the same level of development as other ITC members?

Finally, I acknowledge two points:
1. CMS was substantially cheaper.
2. I have so much to learn about CAD that this is probably unlikely to affect me.

IanO,

The ITC has forced compliance between versions the vendors sell and I do know that CMS has a tendency to release their products earlier than the others.

This could explain the timing differences when the code was compiled.

------------------
Regards
John Finlay

I believe you get what you pay for. Unlike CMS, Bricscad are actively developing the core product, and their updates are much more frequent than CMS' (approx. bimonthly vs. approx. annually so far). Obviously, development costs money and their version is also more expensive. CMS development seems more focused on the add-on packages, not the core product.
The consequence is that there are no bugfixes to the CMS version between major upgrades, which may not suit everybody equally well.

John and avaernes

Thank you for your responses. I have downloaded and briefly tried the demo versions from BricsCAD, CADopia, CMS and recently, ProgeSoft. Unfortunately, it wasn't until after I had made a purchase that the versioning differences became apparent.

It seems that CMS is the least responsive to program changes and updates. I was led to believe from the ITC site that all members were working together - with hindsight, how naive of me!

Of all the versions (demo) it would seem that ProgeSoft is the most impressive, with VBA and Rendering available in demo - including documentation. Head to head with CMS they are about the same price.

Will I buy CMS in future? Perhaps not.

BTW - this forum states it is a division of CMS - are you, the moderators, employees?

Thank you again for your comments.

Ian Oldfield
Epsom, England.

IanO,

We are not employees, just supporters of IntelliCAD. I will disclose that we have access to the latest release of ICAD at no cost.

I would be carefull using a product with VBA in a demo. My understanding is that Microsoft licences VBA via the ITC to the sellers. When a sale occurs Microsoft is then paid its royality and there is no licences that allow demo versions to be released including VBA.

The objects in ICAD can still be accessed using VB or even other products that have VBA.

------------------
Regards
John Finlay

John

Thank you again for your prompt response and frank reply. If you support the user community in this way, your 'free' copy is small reward, but a shrewd investment by CMS!

However, it is a little worrying that whilst the heading of the forum states 'IntelliCAD forum - a division of CAD Manufacturing Solutions, Inc' it (CMS) does not provide an employee to support the voluntary effort. What does that say about customer care?

I think the ITC arrrangement is a mess. As a result I have spent good money on a product that may or may not parallel that offered by other members. Some suggest I should be guided by the price. I rather prefer to be guided by hard facts - which in this case are absent - no member makes clear what their particular flavour offers against the competition.

Obviously, there are many CMS flavour supporters on this forum, but rather more unanswered requests for fixes than the other fora. I will take this as a lesson in the need for greater objectivity.

Please keep up your good work, I for one appreciate your time.

Ian Oldfield
Epsom, England.

PS. Microsoft have made enough out of me over the years not to be too rattled by a few hours VBA testing. Perhaps ProgeSoft who supply the demo should be concerned?

Hi IanO!

No, I don't think you've been naive. I myself found out that when ICAD4 came out most resellers had the same demo available and if you hadn't followed the development of ICAD a bit, you would have no clue to what would be the right choice.

ProgoSoft recently send me a full IntelliCAD 4 Gold CD (and failed to mention it was a gift or a demo) but I am not impressed. Indeed they do include the VBA into their demo(?) release and it is a full-blown version with several add-ons. But it fails to convince me on several issues, a.o. stability.

I've anyway grown suspicious of all those "Gold", "Brilliant" "PE+" versions out there. Some resellers really produce a lot of smoke. ProgoSoft claims as versionnr. 4.6.5. Doesn't that sounds impressive?

I tried BricsCAD today. Mainly since avaernes spoke so favourable about it here and just a couple of days ago in another thread. It did make a very nice impression. It was especially joyful to open a drawing with really lot of points, set esnaps on nearest, start a line and simply wave over the drawing with the pointer snap to all those points (smoothly as water).
;-)

just my piece of cake.

Gkiers