silly question

I just got started trying to draw in 3d, I have been using intellicad for years, and I wanted to try something new.
Ok I learned that the default view is top, so I switch to front view, well of course the coordinates aren't the same. I am so use to drawing 2d when I want a line to go to the right, I enter 0 then the length, it works ok in front view, but when I go to the right side view, nothing works like I am used to. I may be just approaching it wrong.
Here is my thought process, in front view I draw a box, then I switch to right side view and try to draw that face, no luck so far, where am I going astray?

tspco,
Two things to consider when starting to draw in 3D :

1 - Generally, drawing commands are only effective in the XY plane of the current user coordinate system (UCS). Normally, in 2D, the world coordinate system (WCS) which never changes, is aligned with the UCS in all axes. To draw in any plane other than XY in the WCS, you must define a new UCS. This can be done with the menu picks Settings, User Coordinate Systems or on the command line with the UCS command.

2 - To visualize 3D space, you must change the view direction to isometric (or some other non-orthogonal view, meaning any view not looking directly along any major axis X,Y or Z.) This can be done with the menu picks View, Look From or Preset Viewpoints or Dynamic View Control. There are many ways to adjust the viewpoint.

To work in 3D, you need the UCS icon to be visible. The screen location is a matter of preference. Type UCSICON on the command line to see the options.

To see all this in action, you could begin by drawing a box and rotating it to an isometric view. From the menu, Insert, 3D Entities, Box. At first, you see only a rectangle. Then View, Preset Viewpoints and pick any of the group on the left side. Notice the UCS icon rotates to indicate the new alignment. To draw on one of the vertical faces, type UCS, 3 and define the XY plane by picking the origin, a point in X and a point in Y. Then try a drawing command like CIRCLE and see where it gets drawn.

There is, of course much more to learn. The help file is worth exploring. This should get you started.

Sorry it so long to reply, I bought a new computer, because the old one was getting buggy, (WIN2K pro), but of course my version of CMS ICAD, won't run on the new machine (Vista), So now I have to scratch up some cash to get the new CMS ICAD, So for now I am out of commission. I do however appreciate the reply.
Thanks

Have heard some people are having success with running Intellicad on a Linux O.S. under WINE. Haven't got that far yet, but that may trade your time for money.