BAK File

i am using version 6.4 PE+ and everytime i save my work, it creates a .bak file.

how can i prevent the program from creating those files? i've explored all settings possible and it just didn't work. :roll:

thanks,

asia

All,

Those .bak files have save many a drafter from having to redrawing their work during power failures and software failure.

If you want to delete them (not recommended) then do a search for all *.bak and delete them.

Also check for all *.SV$ files as these are the automatic saves.

Since the bak file is only created when the file is saved, it would be no more useful than the original file in the event of a power or software failure. If something were to hapen to the folder containing the file, the bak file would be lost also. It may be useful if it (the bak file) were saved to a different location but not as it is. I delete bak files on a regular basis. my backup is another hard drive synced to the primary drive. The chances of two hard drive failures hapening at the same time are remote. Seems that I have heard that, in Autocad, the bak file can be written to another location rather than the same file.

CW,

Have you had a look at the MakeBak System Variable?

Reom Help:
MAKEBAK [IntelliCAD only]
Stores an older version of a drawing file with a .bak extension each time the drawing is saved. Changing the default value of 1 to 0 causes the program to overwrite the old version of the file with the new version each time the drawing file is saved.

BAK file

I'm confused but curious. As i understand it, you want to stop the program automatically saving a .BAK file.

i'm using ICAD 6.2 PE+.

My program does not automatically save a .BAK although it does save a .SV$ file. I cannot find any setting which allows me to do an automatic .BAK save.

The only way that I can create a .BAK file is to specifically do a 'SAVE AS' with the extension .BAK added onto the file name.

OR is this an ICAD 6.4 thing ONLY.

Warren Sugden

Warren

When you open an existing dwg for modification Icad (& Autocad) creates a BAK file. This is a copy of the dwg before the current modification & is stored in the same folder as the original dwg.

Try creating a new dwg with a few lines, circle ... whatever, end the session for that dwg. Then open the same dwg and delete a few bits & end that session. Check the folder & you should find both the dwg & bak files but with differing times. You can rename the back as a dwg (change the file name as well) and open the renamed dwg & you should find the dwg before the last editing session.

If you 'save' during an edditing session then the bak file will be updated for that time.

Hope that helps :shock:

SteveN

The BAK file has saved my bacon a number of times, most recently when a file became corrupted the .dwg saved as a file with 0 bytes.
I delete them regularly too, then you have a third chance to retrieve from the recycle bin. When the job is finished you don't need them any more, but turn off the ability to create bak files at your peril.